October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. As purple is the symbolic color used to represent domestic violence, we are asking our Members to embrace the Purple Porch Project and help us light up the town this October!
WAYS YOU CAN HELP RIGHT NOW:
1.Light up your own porch! Purple lights are available at all of the home improvement stores.
2.Donate goods. Domestic violence survivors who leave an abuser often have little more than the clothes on their backs. Donations of household goods, uniforms, toys and small appliances can make a big difference. APEX will have a donation spot at the party on October 22nd to make this easy! Please see the list of needed items below.
3.Wear purple clothing on Thursday, Oct. 20 in support of domestic violence awareness, and share your photo with the tag #PurpleThursday.
4.Part with a few dollars. Many shelters and agencies run on shoestring budgets. Even a small donation can make a big difference. APEX will accept donations for The Sojourner Center at the October 22nd Party (Checks should made to them) or you can donate directly here: https://www.sojournercenter.org/get-involved/give/
5.Write a status update or post raising awareness about domestic violence on social media.
6.Publicly thank community members who are working to end domestic violence with a statement in social media.
7.Share articles about ending domestic violence on social media.
8.Educate yourself. Would you know if a friend was being abused? By the time bruises appear, abuse may have been going on for years. Know the warning signs.
9.Know what to do. If a friend or loved one is being abused support them even if they make choices, you don’t agree with. Don’t insist that they leave their partner, but help them develop a safety plan.
10.Work with Lost Our Home Pet Rescue to encourage people in the community to foster pets for survivors who need temporary pet care. http://www.lostourhome.org/
Our Chosen Shelter is Currently in Need of…
- Household items such as lamps, small appliances, furniture and linens
- Children’s items such as high chairs, strollers, and toys
- Personal hygiene products for babies, children and adults
- Gently used CLEAN clothing (for adults and children)
- Clothing for school, work, interviews, and daily wear
- Dog/Puppy Food (Chicken flavor preferred)
- Cat/Kitty Food
- Clumping Kitty Litter
- Dog and Cat Beds
- Baby wipes
- Twin-size sheet sets
- Blankets (Twin size or larger)
- Adult and Children’s Shoes (all styles, all sizes)
- Towels (bath, hand, washcloths)
- Personal Hygiene (bar soaps, shampoos, conditioners, solid deodorants, feminine hygiene)
- Brand new Underwear (all sizes, adults and children)
- Hair Dryers